Monday, February 22, 2010

Library Literature/Books in Print

For this search assignment, I'll be keeping my original naïve question and using two different databases—Library Literature and Books in Print.

Naïve Question: How can I build interest in reading for the students of my school library?

Library Literature

Facets

reading

build interest

secondary students

My initial terms

literacy

interests, motivation

youth, young adults, teenagers, children

Thesaurus terms

children's reading, reading, young adults' reading, literacy, reading interests

reading incentive programs, school libraries/book programs, reading motivation

school libraries/high school


Notes:

  1. I am using the thesaurus tab to search out subject headings for each facet. While searching for the first facet "reading," I found no reference to school libraries, reinforcing that the focus of this database is not education.
  2. I found "reading interests" and "young adults' reading" when I clicked on "literacy." I love finding subject headings like "reading interests" that ties together a huge portion of my search.
  3. I spoke too soon about finding education-related articles; as I was searching for the facet "motivation," I found "school libraries/book programs" when I clicked on "reading incentive programs." Maybe I can tie in students and youth together under the secondary students facet. I will also include children since young adults are often categorized with children.
  4. I definitely could not find anything under secondary students or high school student. However, when I searched under high school, I did find "school libraries/high school." I decided to include it since my focus is on secondary school libraries.
  5. As I am searching more under the secondary students facets, I am finding that even with youth or young adults, I am receiving mostly articles about awards. In fact, after searching all of the initial terms, I am still unhappy with the results. The subject headings focus more on services and access. I may end up eliminating this facet since the other two facets include young adults and children.

SS1 (children's reading OR reading OR young adults' reading OR literacy OR reading interests) AND (reading incentive programs OR school libraries/book programs OR reading motivation) AND (school libraries/high school) (all subject fields)

Results: none

Notes:

  1. I was afraid this would happen if I left in the last facet since it was so limiting. I will try it with only the first two facets.

SS2 (children's reading OR reading OR young adults' reading OR literacy OR reading interests) AND (reading incentive programs OR school libraries/book programs OR reading motivation)

Results: 121

Notes:


  1. This definitely expanded my search. I found that most of the articles use the subject fields "children's reading" and "reading incentive programs." Also, the "school libraries" subject field that I eliminated with the entire last facet still appeared on some records, so I do not feel so bad about eliminating that.
  2. Just out of curiosity, I eliminated "children's reading" to see if it would narrow the results to only young adults. It still brought up the same 121 records.
  3. Here is the citation for one example article:
    Small, R., et.al. (May 2009). Reading incentives that work: No-cost strategies to motivate kids to read and love it! School Library Media Activities Monthly, 25(9). 27-31.

Books in Print

Facets

reading

build interest

secondary students

My initial terms

literacy

Interests, motivation

Youth, young adults, teenagers

Thesaurus terms

Reading, reading (secondary), literacy, young adults books and reading

Motivation, interest,

high school students, youth, young adults, teenagers


Notes:

  1. Under the browse feature of the Books in Print home page, I found that you can find subject headings by clicking on subjects and then typing in the search term. The drawback is that you cannot expand on the headings that are brought up on the screen. Therefore, my thesaurus terms are pretty close to my original terms.
  2. There was nothing under secondary students, so I went with "high school students." Under young adults, I found "young adults-books and reading." This seemed more appropriate under the reading facet, so I moved it.

SS1 (reading OR reading (secondary) OR literacy OR young adults-books and reading) AND (motivation OR interest) AND (high school students OR youth OR young adults OR teenagers) (all subject fields) (limited to English language)

Results: 7

Notes:

  1. I am so surprised that I was only able to find 7 records. Honestly, only about half of the books look like they fit what I am looking for.
  2. I did find "youth books and reading" and "reading interest" in the few appropriate records I did view. However, adding those terms to the reading and motivation facets did not change the results.
  3. I cannot find any citations that use motivation or interest as a subject heading, so I will eliminate that facet.

SS2 (reading OR reading (secondary) OR literacy OR young adults-books and reading) AND (high school students OR youth OR young adults OR teenagers) (all subject fields) (limited to English language)

Results: 455

Notes:

  1. Now I need to narrow my search! Since my focus is on students, I will use only "high school students" as a term under my last facet.

SS3 (reading OR reading (secondary) OR literacy OR young adults-books and reading) AND (high school students) (all subject fields) (limited to English language)

Results: 16

Notes:

  1. This is a little better but still may be too narrow. I did notice that some trade papers are included. I do not know if I need to limit it to books.
  2. One citation example is:
    Reeves, A. (2003). Adolescents talk about reading: Exploring resistance to and engagement with text. USA: International Reading Association.

No comments:

Post a Comment